[T]he Fifth Assembly of the Global Environment Facility (GEF) was hosted by the Government of Mexico in Cancun during the last week of May, 2014. GEF Assemblies are held every four years, and are attended by representatives of all 183 GEF member countries. Through a combination of plenary and high-level panels, exhibits, side events and GEF project site visits, representatives are given the opportunity to assess and amend GEF policies, operations, and memberships. The STAP was heavily involved in the GEF Assembly through participation by the Chair and Panel Members in several side events and other meetings. The STAP Chairperson, Dr. Rosina Bierbaum, presented a report to the GEF Council on STAP's work programme, it's role in the GEF and next steps. For a copy of this presentation, click here. Dr. Bierbaum also gave a presentation to the GEF Assembly which, among other things, provided STAP's vision for GEF-6, including new areas for integration. For a copy of this presentation, click here.
From 24-25 May, the STAP Secretariat and Panel gathered for their bi-annual meeting. The objectives of the meeting were to discuss and reach agreement on the major program activities of the STAP in FY15 and GEF-6, and to review proposed changes to the STAP's contribution to the GEF Project Cycle. The first day of the meeting (24 May) was open to all Assembly participants, and featured presentations by the UNEP's Chief Scientist and the GEF Secretariat.
To see the meeting agenda, click here. Links to the background documents for the meeting are provided below:
- Discussion Brief - STAP in GEF-6
- Discussion Brief - Proposed Changes to STAP's Role in the GEF Project Cycle
- STAP Report to the GEF Assembly - Delivering Global Environmental Benefits for Sustainable Development
- Chairperson's Report to Council
- GEF-6 Programming Directions
- GEF-6 Policy Recommendations
- Evaluation of the STAP of the GEF - Technical Document 15, OPS 5
- Progress Report on the GEF Project Cycle Streamlining and Harmonization Process
- Sub-Study on Results Based Management - Technical Document 10, OPS 5
- Knowledge Management in the GEF - Technical Document 11, OPS 5
- Research within the GEF - Proposals for Revising the Targeted Research Modality
- Draft STAP Key Points for PIF Screens + STAP Screen - January 2014
- STAP Schedule for the Assembly and Associated Events
- Logistics information for GEF Assembly and Associated Events
STAP Report to the 46th Meeting of the GEF Council
The STAP Chairperson - Dr. Rosina Bierbaum - presented the STAP's Report to the 46th Meeting of the GEF Council on 26 May. The report highlights the STAP's work programme activities and products, summarizes a recent evaluation of the STAP that was conducted by the GEF's Evaluation Office (EO), and proposes operational changes to strengthen the efficiency and effectiveness of the STAP's contribution to the GEF's Project Cycle. To see the Chairperson's Report to Council, click here. To view the Chairperson's presentation, click here.
STAP Report to the 5th GEF Assembly
On 28 May, Dr. Bierbaum also presented directly to the Assembly plenary to highlight the major findings of a thematic Report to Assembly by the STAP. The presentation provided guidance for how the STAP can assist the GEF with:
- delivering global environmental benefits in the context of sustainable development
- improving integration and synergistic benefits between focal areas and through the pilot integrated approach programs (IAPs)
- supporting innovation through effective knowledge management frameworks and practices
Side Events at the Assembly
The STAP also facilitated three Side Events that were held on the margins of the Assembly. Click on the title of each event for a detailed description and programme:
- Protected Areas and Conservation in the 21st Century: Mainstreaming Biodiversity, Sustainable Development, and Global Environmental Benefits - co-led by Panel member Dr. Sandra Diaz (Biodiversity);
- The 5th IPCC Assessment Report and Implications for the GEF Programme - co-led by Panel Chair Dr. Rosina Bierbaum, and members Dr. Ralph Sims (Climate Mitigation) and Dr. Anand Patwardhan (Climate Adaptation);
- Delivering Global Environmental Benefits for Sustainable Development - led by all eight Panel members.
To see a schedule of the STAP's involvement in the GEF Assembly and Associated Events, click here.
To see Logistics information for the GEF Assembly and Associated Events, click here.