STAP at the UNCCD 2nd Scientific Conference
[T]he STAP participated at the UNCCD’s Second Scientific Conference held 9-12 April 2013 in Bonn, Germany. The conference theme was Economic Assessment of Desertification, Sustainable Land Management and Resilience of Arid, Semi-arid and Dry Sub-humid Areas. The STAP contributed to the Conference by designing and leading a 90 minute session titled “GEF Special Session on Carbon – a Valuable Global Benefit of Sustainable Land Management.” The session objectives were to ...
- Demonstrate the importance of the current work of the Land Degradation Focal Area of the Global Environment Facility, with special reference to Sustainable Land Management (SLM).
- Identify the multiple potential benefits derived from above- and below-ground sequestration of carbon.
- Show how GEF investments and strategic planning support the UNCCD.
- Consult the scientific community on issues related to SLM that might be included in future GEF strategic plans.
The session abstract can be downloaded here.
During the session, the STAP also launched its report “Soil organic carbon management for global benefits: a discussion paper”. The paper provides an overview of soil organic carbon and its relevance to soil organic carbon management within the context of generating global environmental benefits and contributing towards food security and livelihoods. The report can be downloaded here.
The paper was presented at the session by Gerard Govers. The session presentations and their titles are listed below.
- Mohamed Bakarr, GEF Secretariat | Sustainable Land Management in the Global Environment Facility – Enhancing Ecosystem Services in Production Landscapes
- Gerard Govers, University of Leuven, Belgium | Soil organic carbon management for global benefits – A review for STAP
- Eleanor Milne, Colorado State University, U.S.A. | A New Tracking Tool for Carbon Benefits
- Annette Cowie, University of New England, Armidale, Australia | Value of Soil Organic Carbon: the case for biochar
Prepared By: Guadalupe Durón
Bonn | 9-12 April 2013